Thursday, February 09, 2006

Jay Fosgitt: King Of Mount Pleasant Media

I was in Mount Pleasant today where I gave a radio interview concerning my thoughts on the controversy surrounding the Dutch cartoonist-created editorial cartoons which lampooned Muslim beliefs. The interview will air on 91.5 FM on Monday February 13th between 6-6:30 pm. If you have access to a computer, you can stream it by going to this link:

http://www.bca.cmich.edu/wmhw/

For the record, I fully support the cartoonists' rights to free speech, and applaud the editor for his support of their work and for encouraging such a hot topic to be lampooned. While I bare no particular hostility towards any one group, I believe every person and every group is susceptable to the harsh spotlight of an editorial cartoon. An editorial cartoon is a political statement that manages to get its point across without violence or global hostility. The Muslims who take physical action against these cartoons should intead take steps similar to the cartoonists' in making their views heard rather than succumbing to the violent measures that the cartoons accuse them of. All they're doing is validating the cartoon's messages and giving the cartoonists' more ammunition.

Secondly, CMLife is running that article I'd previously mentioned in tomorrow's edition. You can view it at www.cm-life.com. Let me know what you think of it.

No comments: