Wednesday, November 07, 2012

BODIE TROLL? I'VE GOT IT COVERED!

In the course of creating "Bodie Troll", the one thing I'd been sweating the most was creating the cover. It's probably the most important image associated with a comic, particularly its first issue, where you need to encapsulate everything about that book in one image, with as little clutter and as much clarity to potential readers as possible. No small feat. After many starts and stops and a whole lot of doubt and do-overs, here's what I came up with for issue #1 of "Bodie Troll" (as always, click on the image to enlarge)...
I'm very happy with this. It was worth the pile of rough sketches and re-dos that led up to it!

I also wanted to show you some of the recently colored interior art. Weeks ago, I showed you the uncolored line art of the panel which shows us The Drunken Pumpkin for the first time. I finally got to color that page, and you can see the evolution below...
I'm very proud of my coloring on "Bodie", and I credit the influence of my pal and fellow artist Evan Shaner, who colored the first four pages of "Bodie" and gave me a coloring style to aspire to.

For those of you who missed my Live Sketch Show last Wednesday (and who can blame you? it was Halloween!), it's back on tonight, and in its old 8:00 pm eastern time slot. Catch it at the link above and watch me draw and blab about all things cartoon. And if you'd like to chat with me during my show, you can reach me via Ustream's chat window. You need to log in to Ustream to use the window, but registering is easy. It only takes a username and an email address. Once you've entered that info, you can chat with me while I draw. I hope to see some of you online!

That wraps it up for this post. Have a great rest of your week!

--Jay

3 comments:

Joe Foo said...

Wow! What a fun and amazing cover Jay! Bodie is without a doubt some of the best work I have ever seen you do. The level of sophistication you have reached inside each panel that you show is tremendous. This is a very very good book.

Dennis said...

You know everytime you do something it makes me think that yoour quikly becoming the best artist I've ever seen I have my favorites we all do but your background works and your little odd ball details makes your work really stand out over the people I look up to the most art wise, I've always really loved the stuff you do and like any thing thats appreciated the things you draw get better all the time.

Doc Shaner said...

Man oh man, that cover is a knockout! Great work, buddy! The newly colored page looks fantastic too. This is shaping up to be one hell of a sharp book.