Wednesday, June 27, 2012

COUNTDOWN TO CRAZINESS


As Comic Con gets closer and closer, my stress level grows higher and higher. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally looking forward to attending and hanging out with my pals in the industry. But it seems like there's so much riding on the trip, and I've seriously been losing sleep. I suppose the pressure I feel is entirely my own creation. But I don't have the knack for harnessing my chi and chilling the hell out. The best I can do is dive into my workload and complete as much as I can before the con, so when the time comes, "Did I get that assignment in by deadline?" will be the only thing I won't be sweating. Here's a small dose of what I've been completing thus far...

DEAD DUCK
The web comic is still going strong, posting twice weekly every Monday and Thursday. This week began the latest storyline, "The Ballad of The Lotto". It's unlike any other Dead Duck story I've done, and I think you guys will dig it. Check it at the link above, and keep following for more undead hilarity to come!

APE ENTERTAINMENT
I'm still hard at work on my latest book for Ape Entertainment: "OLD MCMONSTER'S HAUNTED FARM", which comes out around Halloween 2012. You'll recall from previous posts that this was an idea from my editors at Ape, who imagined the classic Universal horror monsters (Dracula, Frankenstein's monster, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde) as cartoon animals. They came up with some character names and descriptions, and asked me to design, write and draw the whole magilla, same as I did on "Little Green Men" and "Dino Duck". It's been a fun project that allows me to play with two of my favorite subjects--monsters and cartoon animals. Here's a recently completed page from the upcoming book (click to enlarge). In the script, I only wrote that Beefenstein goes on a rampage. It wasn't until I sat down at the drawing board that I came up with him busting into a grocery store. I love bringing impov into my cartooning...
You may also recall that I contributed artwork to Dreamworks Animation Magazine. I'm still producing more sketches for future issues, and it's been a fun gig. Here are some recent samples that should appear in an upcoming issue...
NOTRE DAME
I mentioned last time that I had a speaking engagement booked at The Snite Museum of Art on the Campus of Notre Dame University. In a room filled with aspiring artists, I showed slides detailing my career and work process, and did some quick sketching as I answered their questions. It was without a doubt one of the greatest experiences I've had as a presenter. The program's curator and instructor were very receptive to what I had to say, and the kids were friendly and interested. That might not seem like much, but I've done plenty of these talks where the kids were far from interested (though they're always friendly). Everything just clicked with this event, and it gave me a feeling that I rarely experience. To those responsible for having me there, thank you for the gift. Below are some pics from the day...

BALLOON FEST
Because of our work schedules, my wife and I rarely get to experience a good summer festival when the season rolls around. And as festivals go, Michigan is the state that does them best and most frequently. So when we heard about Howell, Michigan's Balloon Fest just forty minutes north west of us, we knew this was the one fest we should make an effort to attend. We both love hot air balloons (from a distance. I wouldn't ride in one on a dare), and carnival food is a once-in-a-long-while journey that must be taken. As it turned out, we showed up at the slow end of the fest, when most people had come and gone, with plenty of parking and room to see things at our own pace. The down side was that, inexplicably, there wasn't a hot air balloon in sight. There were, however, some cool stunt kites being flown, some sky divers diving, and lots of cool stuff to buy (we got a root beer scented soy candle). But best of all was the food. Oh the food. Here's some pics of the day...
There were plenty of carnie-owned and operated food vendors, but we opted to eat at the one place that was local, and served food that seemed more legit than the batter-dipped variety common to festivals. We chose well. That was one damn fine burger. Laura, however, did succumb to the trashy allure of deep friend Twinkies. I was content with an elephant ear.
 That about does it for this week. I'll be steadily stressing, planning and packing for Comic Con in the coming weeks, but I'll do my best to have weekly updates for anyone who wants to read 'em. Take care, folks.

--Jay  

1 comment:

Tom Bancroft said...

Thats a pretty cool wife that will wear a Peanuts shirt! Sorry, I notice these things.